Professional Reader

Saturday, October 14, 2017

Cushaw The Magical Gourd

When I moved south I expected to encounter cultural differences as well as regional cuisine differences. Biscuits, gravy, grits those are some things I was ready to encounter. What I hadn't expected was this crazy necked gourd. It's a gourd and comes in pretty large sizes. 



The flesh inside is light coloured and is filled with seeds . The flavour is similar but lighter tasting than a pumpkin or other winter squashes. I have not done much with the seeds yet, except for plans to plant some however since they are numerous I will try them roasted like pumpkin seeds and see how that works.

 One thing I have learned is that it is very versatile and so far have tried it in a number of recipes . 

cushaw pie bars 
Cushaw Carbonara
Cushaw carbonara was easy just using a roasted squash carbonara recipe and adjusting the seasonings to the lighter flavour of the cushaw.
Have also made cushaw bread and cushaw muffins. As I have said it is versatile and I expect to try it in a number of different ways before the season is over.


No comments:

Post a Comment